Saturday 3 April 2010

Opening up a space

It's been two days since I left Devoted & Disgruntled NE2 and I still can't stop thinking about it and my place in it. For two days I was an artist and noone questioned it or had preconcieved ideas about my place in the discussion. I was an equal. I belonged. It was a good feeling.

D&D operates on the Open Space principles of -
Whoever comes are the right people.
Whatever happens is the only thing that could have.
Whenever it starts when is when it is supposed to start.
When it's over, it's over.

Then there is the law of two feet, essentially voting with your feet. You are in control of your experience. If you have an issue you can't complain about it not being covered if you don't raise it. If you are bored or feel the topic has moved away from what is relevant to you speak up or move on.

You are in control of your own experience. And this is a powerful thing. I'd like to think I used it well. The event offered the chance to learn about the scene in the region, make contacts, put names to faces and also learn from those with more experience than myself. And I still can't stop thinking about it. For me it marked a beginning. An entrance in to a world that I have been on the periphery of for too long and it was thrilling. Next... actually making some work.

No comments:

Post a Comment